Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Determination of Balla

Sweet and artistic Balla was just 12 years old when we started filming. Much like his pen pal Malik, he wants to be a working artist someday. Balla lives at the Children in Crisis orphanage. Aunty Musu rescued him when he was 5 years old, just after the rebel soldiers murdered his parents.

I want to be like most big people. I want to have an office so people can call me so I can draw for them.

If my friend ever needs anything, if they ask me I will give it to them. That’s what makes a good friend. If my pen pal is good, I feel happy.

I ask myself, what can I remember about the rebels? What do I remember about what they did? When I remember it angers me. What they took from me, oh God.

From the bottom of my heart, I want to get big so I can avenge what they [the rebels] have done to me. What they’ve done to me, to my parents, and to my people ... But my parents would want me to be a good Sierra Leonean. I want to be a good Sierra Leonean. That is my wish.

Drawing will make things better for me, so I will not slack off, I will hold on tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment